Its riverine location facilitates Naval Station Mayport, Naval Air Station Jacksonville, the U. Marine Corps Blount Island Command, and the Port of Jacksonville, Florida's third largest seaport.Significant factors in the local economy include services such as banking, insurance, healthcare and logistics.
At the time of contact with Europeans, all Mocama villages in present-day Jacksonville were part of the powerful chiefdom known as the Saturiwa, centered around the mouth of the St. French Huguenot explorer Jean Ribault charted the St.Johns River in 1562, calling it the River of May because that was the month of his discovery.As with much of Florida, tourism is also important to the Jacksonville area, particularly tourism related to golf.The area of the modern city of Jacksonville has been inhabited for thousands of years.with which the city government consolidated in 1968.
Consolidation gave Jacksonville its great size and placed most of its metropolitan population within the city limits.
The Spanish renamed the fort San Mateo, and following the ejection of the French, St.
Augustine's position as the most important settlement in Florida was solidified. Johns River at a narrow point, which the Seminole called Wacca Pilatka and the British called the Cow Ford; these names ostensibly reflect the fact that cattle were brought across the river there.
After Spain ceded the Florida Territory to the United States in 1821, American settlers on the north side of the Cow Ford decided to plan a town, laying out the streets and plats.
They named the town Jacksonville, after President Andrew Jackson. Hart, residents wrote a charter for a town government, which was approved by the Florida Legislative Council on February 9, 1832.
President Grover Cleveland attended the Sub-Tropical Exposition in the city on February 22, 1888 during his trip to Florida.