Other specialists are certain that the cave’s art is a highly complex accumulation of artistic episodes spanning a much longer period.The cave was in perfect condition when first discovered and was opened to the public in 1948; its floor level was quickly lowered to accommodate a walkway.
Thus, in 1963 the cave was again closed; the growth of crystals was halted, while the growth of algae and bacteria was both halted and reversed.
In 2001 microorganisms, mushrooms, and bacteria were again noted in the cave, and daily monitoring of conditions continues.
The cave was discovered by the four school boys named Marcel Ravidat, Jacques Marsal, Simon Cooencas and Georges Agnel from Montignac in the south central, western corner of France.
Those four boys were hunting in the woods with their dog.
Despite its fame and importance, Lascaux is very poorly dated.
Radiocarbon dating of some charcoal has given a date of 17,000 years ago, and the orthodox view is that the cave is a largely homogeneous collection of images spanning at most a few centuries before and after that date.
Cave paintings started during the time called the Paleolithic Age. C., the earliest arts were created and cave paintings were started.
Also the caves where paintings have been found are not likely to use as shelter, but they were used for ceremonial purposes (Tedesco, 2008).
In places, a scaffolding was clearly used to reach high walls and the ceiling.
Among the most remarkable pictures are four huge aurochs (some 16 feet [5 metres] long), their horns portrayed in a “twisted perspective”; a curious two-horned animal (misleadingly nicknamed the “unicorn”), perhaps intended as a mythical creature; red deer with fantastic antlers; numerous horses; the heads and necks of several stags (3 feet [almost 1 metre] tall), which appear to be swimming across a river; a series of six felines; two male bison; and a rare narrative composition, at the bottom of a shaft, that has been variously interpreted as a hunting accident or as a shamanistic scene.
In September 1940, Marcel Ravidat found a cavity on Lascaux Hill.